Drafting technicians and technologists prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information, in multidisciplinary engineering teams or in support of engineers, architects or industrial designers.
Most likely to work in:
Most employees have:
Non-university certificate or diploma
The Architectural Engineering Technician program is accredited with the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTBA)
What you do
Drafting technicians develop and prepare engineering drawings, plans, diagrams, and layouts from sketches.
Drafting technologists operate computer-aided design (CAD) and drafting stations, develop and prepare design sketches, and write technical reports.
In the oceans technology sector, drafting technologist and technicians play a critical role, especially throughout the designing, building and repairing stages for ships and other marine vessels such as submarines.
A Drafting Technician and Technologist performs some or all of the following duties:
- Develop and prepare engineering designs and drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, engineering calculations, specification sheets and other data;
- Operate computer-assisted design (CAD) and drafting workstations;
- Develop and prepare design sketches;
- Check and verify design drawings to conform to specifications and design data;
- Write technical reports; and
- Prepare contracts and tender documents.
What you need
- Be talented in drawing and sketching;
- Have the skills to implement a creative and systematic approach to projects;
- Accurate, precise, and efficient;
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines is also necessary; and
- Excellent computer skills.
References and further reading
- Careers Nova Scotia
- Create your career plan
- Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency
- 2253 National Occupation Classification (NOC)
* The employment outlook over the next few years for this occupational group is "fair", which indicates the changes of a qualified individual finding work is around average.
Your Career Pathway
Opportunities for Hands-on Experience
- Secondary School
- Co-op Options and Opportunities (Science Streams)
- Oceans 11
Post-Secondary Educational Programs
- NSCC Oceans Technology Program
- Advanced one year diploma for students with a Bachelor of Science or Engineering or an Engineering Diploma to further enhance skills in the oeceans technology sector.