Data Manager (Permanent)
Halifax, NS or Ottawa, ON
Underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, asset management, and specialist training, Babcock International works with customers around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the key market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear.
In Canada, Babcock works in the Marine sector, where our teams provide critical and complex support to Canada’s submarine fleet. Our Canadian team is proud to be trusted to deliver key naval in-service support for the Royal Canadian Navy. We also operate in the Aviation sector, where Babcock ensures that the aircrew trainees of our partner nations receive the world’s best flying training. We deliver vital aerial emergency services and are proud to have been selected by the Government of Manitoba to deliver their wildfire suppression services, as well as key components of their critical air ambulance services. As well, we have expanded into the Canadian Nuclear Energy Industry. Cavendish Nuclear, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Babcock International Group, is a leading nuclear services company with a growing national and global presence. Drawing on over 60 years of nuclear experience, Cavendish Nuclear provides specialized service solutions in Canada, with global capabilities across the entire nuclear life cycle.
Whether it is providing technical training instruction, developing training materials or maintaining critical training assets, Babcock is trusted by its customers to deliver world-class training solutions.
Our business relies on our people delivering their best day in and day out. As individuals, we all make a difference to our colleagues, our customers and others who we interact with on a daily basis. Collectively at Babcock, our employees embody the ‘Being Babcock’ principles that help make us great at what we do:
- Always strive to deliver
- Build great relationships based on trust
- Safeguard customers’ reputations
- Never compromise on health and safety
- Challenge ourselves and each other
- Respect people and value their diversity
- Thrive on complexity
- Trust our people to deliver
We encourage you to explore our Babcock Canada website to learn more about us at www.babcockcanada.com.
In this role, you will:
- Operate at an Enterprise Level to develop a company wide data strategy.
- Work with Configuration Management (CM) group and Enterprise stakeholders to provide effective data management solutions.
- Examine existing data pools and how that data is used in order to propose effective improvement to both.
- Support Configuration Management and other Enterprise stakeholders in championing beneficial change.
- Propose improvements to existing CM and DM procedures based on lessons-learned from own experiences.
- Work directly with enterprise stakeholders to ensure the required interface support is in place to meet program obligations.
- Update existing CM & DM processes to comply with standards, as required.
- Define a vision statement and guiding principles for company-wide data management and determine an implementation strategy.
- Operationalize the data strategy plan through defined goals and processes.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Post-secondary education credentials in a software-focused technical field
- Minimum or 8 years of relevant experience with 5 years’ experience with complex data management solutions
- A demonstrable understanding of data management processes and their importance in managing configurations effectively
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to work effectively within a team environment or individually.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Experience in developing modern data-management solutions.
- A proven ability to assess existing data repositories and architecture against work-processes and propose changes that will bring improvements in efficiency, accessibility and security in regards to the data.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Enterprise stakeholders for needs-capture and translate those needs into requirements on data architecture.
- A proven ability to work within Configuration Management to ensure solutions will allow for effective base-lining and change control.
- An ability to work with IT to define and then deploy agreed solutions.
- Experience with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 32 Data Management and Interchange would be an asset.
- Previous experience with data management for complex platforms with extended life-cycles (e.g. ship, aircraft) would be an asset
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, meaning that you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the Government of Canada with the final dose at least 14 days prior to your start date
- You are eligible for a Canadian Secret Security and ITAR Clearance
Applicants, please apply online at https://www.babcockinternational.com/careers/
Babcock Canada supports the safety and wellbeing of our employees through the following programs:
- Contributions towards an employee’s physical and mental health
- Wellness days
- Supportive work life balance: flexible work schedule and competitive annual vacation time off
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave top-up available
- Employer matching of employee retirement contribution
- Employee recognition and bonus programs
- Support of professional development and reimbursement of membership dues
- Relocation assistance for individuals and families
Babcock is committed to promoting a workforce without boundaries. One that welcomes everyone to contribute to our success regardless of race, nationality, colour, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability or age. If you require accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.
Job Segment: Database, Manager, Technology, Management