What you do
Software Developers apply their skills to create programs for a range of technology across the ocean sector. From creating the 'brains' of Remote Operated Vehicles (ROVs) to the software that allows boats to find their way in the most difficult conditions.
Depending on your interests and the needs of the company, the role of a software developer can vary significantly but their work is often critical to making sure the systems work is planned.
A Software Developer performs some or all of the following duties:
- Creation of software applications for use in the marine environment (may include software to control systems, collect data from sensors or operate robots)
- Creating control systems to process information and operate undersea technology
- Designing user interfaces to allow users to use the technology
- Interpret the needs of the business to create software that is effective and easy to use
What you need
- Confidence in at least one programming language
- Understanding of computer software, algorithms, and databases
- Familiarity with Windows and Linux systems is an asset
- Great problem-solving skills and ability to find creative solutions
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to tackle problems carefully and methodically
- Experience working with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or Oracle Cloud would be beneficial
Who might be hiring?
Your Career Pathway
Opportunities for Hands-on Experience
Options and Opportunities (Science Streams)
Post-Secondary Educational Programs