DeepSense, headquartered at Dalhousie University, is an ocean data analytics initiative designed to create collaborations between ocean companies and academic researchers to develop artificial intelligence and machine learning projects to support the growth of the ocean sector.
The DeepSense Algorithms and Software Specialist works hand-in-hand with the rest of the DeepSense team, students, academic researchers and ocean-related companies to create artificial intelligence and machine learning projects to enabled growth and adoption of advance analytics in the ocean sector. Reporting to the Executive Director, DeepSense, this position is accountable for providing unique technical expertise and insight into project development, scoping and execution by understanding and communicating visualizations and machine learning opportunities with industry and academic partners.
• Participate in industry and academic meetings to understand opportunities, translate requirements from industry and multi-disciplinary academic partners, acting as a subject matter expert in the areas of visualizations, machine learning, and deep learning.
• Lead development of, and contribute to, documentation and meetings required for determining the strategic design, proposal preparation and approval, project execution and completion of DeepSense projects.
• Keep up to date with new research/innovation in the ocean tech and AI/ML sector, and provide clear and concise, easy to understand explanations of appropriate algorithms and clearly identify the real-world advantages and drawbacks.
• Support the DeepSense team in maintaining its high-performance computing infrastructure and associated software.
• Provide technical support and train faculty, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and industry researchers on how to use the hardware and software stacks effectively.
• Engage in research that supports and adds to commercial and academic projects as time permits; co-author publications if expertise provides an original contribution.
Occasional travel to local offices of industry and academic partners will be required. Infrequent provincial travel may also occur.
Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science (or related STEM field) with approximately one-year of related experience scoping, planning, and completing a broad range of machine learning or data analytics projects. Comprehensive knowledge of machine learning and deep learning algorithms and experience with applications is required. A strong ability to translate project requirements to academic language to facilitate project development and planning is essential. Must have the ability to work with a range of stakeholders including industry partners, academic researchers, and students. Experience with high-performance computing infrastructure, particularly job scheduling, and shared software, is preferred.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a voluntary RRSP, health and dental plans and an employee and family assistance program.