Do you love to compete? Are you hungry for achievement? Are you an A player and want to work with other A-players? Do you want to start a career and work for a company where culture is nurtured and managed as a critical source of advantage? Where every employee knows and is passionate about direction and strategy? If so, AML Oceanographic would love for you to join the team today.
AML Oceanographic has clocked an average annual growth of 20% over the past 8 years, and most importantly, has built a team that provides an outstanding experience and truly cares about our customers. AML has a market reputation for going to the ends of the earth to make our customers successful. As a team, we stand for raising the bar: in every domain.
We manufacture ocean sensing solutions – sensors, instrumentation, and deployment systems – for business and government customers on all seven continents. We enable our customers to focus on the oceanography, not the equipment. As a hi-tech business, our technical team includes experts and engineers with experience in the acoustic, mechanical, electrical, software, and embedded software domains. We operate from locations at either end of Canada: Halifax (Dartmouth), Nova Scotia on the Atlantic Coast and Victoria, British Columbia on the Pacific Coast. Learn more about us here.
It goes without saying that we give preference to qualified candidates who have already had exposure to the oceanographic or hydrographic industries. Similarly, we see a formal education in Oceanography, Hydrography, Environmental Science, or Engineering as a significant advantage.
One last requirement: at AML, we’re looking for individuals who are excited by the idea of coming to work to contribute. We expect each of our team members to dedicate their hands, head, AND heart to their position.
The mission of this role is to “Design it. Build it. Grow it.”
The successful applicant for this role will be joining AML’s multidisciplinary Engineering team. AML’s product line includes the development and manufacture of oceanographic instruments and sensors, as well as marine deck equipment (winches). AML’s Engineering team is tasked with the creation and expansion of this product line – Product Development – as well as the support and improvement of Operations – Operations Engineering. This position is based in Victoria, BC. While some of the role may be done remotely, the position requires attendance in the office at least 3 days a week.
- The design and support of electrical systems and PCBs with an emphasis on design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for testing (DFT)
- Manage multi-disciplinary engineering projects ensuring they’re delivered on time, within budget, and with zero issues
- Lead failure analysis with a focus on improving PCB yield and long term product reliability
- Help create and manage PCB Quality Assurance processes, ensuring products manufactured by the Operations teams are guaranteed perfect
- Translate product requirements into actionable electrical specifications, including PCB design, power distribution, ancillary sensors, etc.
- Develop project scopes and plans
- Participate in peer review of designs; provide and receive effective feedback
- Apply root-cause analysis and resolve electrical Non-conformances (NC’s) as they arise
- Provide support to the Operations Group in the Electrical and Electromechanical domains
- 5+ years of professional experience related to the design of electronic circuits
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or comparable field or experience
- Intermediate knowledge of hardware design, schematic capture, PCB layout, troubleshooting
- Experience with Altium (PCB design software); designing multi-layer PCBs
- Knowledge of embedded systems, SOCs, FPGAs, MCUs, as well as analog circuits
- Troubleshooting component-level issues on PCBs. Ability to resolve problems timely and thoroughly
- Ability to understand hardware and firmware as a complete system including the ability to test, validate, and troubleshoot holistically
- Experience with repository and version control best practices
Considered an asset
- Working knowledge of industrial control equipment such as PCL, VFDs, actuators, and sensors
- Familiarity with Linux, SOCs, and embedded systems
- Ability to hand solder circuit boards, including 0402 components
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary product development team
- Scrum / agile product design methodology
How to Apply
To join our team, please submit your application package via email to hr@AMLoceanographic.com. In addition to your resume and cover letter, please clearly identify the personal values that you use to guide your decisions, and explain why these specific values are so important to you. Finally, please clearly indicate your compensation expectations. No phone calls please. This position is open until filled.