Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
COVE, the Centre for Ocean Ventures and Entrepreneurship, is a collaborative facility on the Halifax harbour for applied innovation and commercialization in the ocean sector. Our incredible tenants are a mix of exciting new start-ups, growing innovative companies, researchers and large organizations looking for growth through innovation and collaboration. Already an important part of Nova Scotia and Canada’s economy, COVE propels the global ocean economy by providing marine infrastructure, a collaborative space, and programs where ocean ventures start, grow, and prosper.
Reporting to the Communications Manager, this position will support COVE’s ongoing branding, public image, and specific projects managed by COVE. COVE builds partnerships across all sectors of marine industries to bring together the private sector, government organizations, and post-secondary institutions within the province as well as regionally and internationally to apply world-class science & innovation to commercial applications. COVE is constantly expanding its brand and managing strategic relations with its community and public at large through (but not limited to) trade shows, event hosting, press releases, newsletters, profiles, etc.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Support the strategic communication and materials used at COVE to help build new relationships and networks.
- Provide science communication.
- Coordinate social media novel presence, planning and delivery.
- Interface with a larger program management team and external stakeholders.
- Communicate with funders and stakeholders to ensure they are kept up to date on program deliverables and reports.
- Liaise with clients (proactively determine specific needs, sharing information about programs, preparation for meetings/workshops).
- Build relationships with COVE tenants and broadly with the ocean technology community.
- Support the ongoing programs at COVE such as workshops, lectures, and events at COVE. This will include ensuring that messages from the events taking place at COVE are translated to its partners, members, and the public.
- Support events hosted by the COVE team including workshops, the monthly Ocean Connector event, and other networking functions.
- Draft and edit communications copy (press releases, publications, newsletters, blogs, social media posts).
- Assist in maintaining web content and executing social media strategies.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate their ability to fulfill the responsibilities below:
- Independently manage project tasks and timelines.
- Work with our Communications Manager to help coordinate COVE’s social media channels and press releases.
- Research and keep a record of COVE in the media.
- Prepare information to be shared through our various communication channels including the monthly newsletter.
- Attend and support events as a representative of COVE.
- Track and help manage all events that COVE is involved with throughout the year, evaluate their success, and ensure that they relate to COVE’s goals and objectives.
- Proficiency in MS Office,
- Experience with Mailchimp, Adobe creative suite (In Design, Illustrator or Photoshop), or other Desktop Publishing software, and Canva is considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations/Communication
- 1-3 years experience
- Exceptional writing skills with ability to create blogs, newsletters, and press releases
- Experience with social media
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and clients feel valued, respected, and supported. We welcome applications from Indigenous Peoples, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons, persons with disabilities, women and persons of the LGBTQ2SIA+ community. If you are a member of one of these groups, you are encouraged to self-identify.
We are committed to ensuring accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment, assessment and selection processes and will provide reasonable accommodation upon request.
We offer an excellent working environment where life balance is valued. Our people and their commitment to quality work is what drives our success. You can find out more information about COVE at www.coveocean.com . Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience, note that relocation costs are not supported.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by clicking “Apply”. The deadline for submission is 3:00pm, May 26, 2022. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.